Saturday 28 February 2009

Final NaBloPoMo post...for now

This morning, as I awoke into the half-light, I was beset by gremlins and remnants of dreams. I'd dreamt of endless bus rides, broken up by transfers in bleak corridors. As I tramped towards an overpass, I saw a man with young children who was a dead ringer for the Resident Fan Boy when he was younger and I descended to the platform to wait for the next bus, weeping for my lost youth.

Actually, very few of my dreams are so clearly about what is going on in my life. Most of them are confused, illogical, and just plain weird. Not unlike me, I suppose. I could write them down and apply Gestalt Therapy to them to determine their meaning, but that's so seventies...

This morning's dream doesn't really need any interpretation anyway. Obviously the uncertainty and worry of choosing a middle school for younger daughter is weighing on me. We've seen two private schools: one is attractive and easily accessible by transit, but it may not be a very good fit for younger daughter's particular blend of social and learning deficits. The other is a three-bus-commute that will take a two-hour bite out of younger daughter's day and a four-hour bite out of mine. It's rather grim and will cost twenty-five hundred dollars more than the other school, but seems to be aimed at students like younger daughter and is recommended by the developmental psychologist who has done two of her assessments, including the latest one. We can't really afford either, but we can't really afford to abandon younger daughter into the special hell that is the public middle school.

Anyway, this will be my last post with NaBloPoMo, at least for now. It's certainly been an interesting exercise in forcing me to write the equivalent of a short essay every day. My readership has gone up, although I harbour no delusions of grandeur about that. According to my site reader, most visitors stay less than a second. A depressing number of them are looking for that photo I posted of Princess Diana (with my fifth cousin India Hicks, name-drop, name-drop), let her go, girls..., and every winter, the Alice Munro short story "How I Met My Husband" is evidently a literature requirement in learning institutions across the eastern half of the United States. Others are really looking for Post-it Notes in various colours and shapes (including "rude-shaped"). Yesterday someone entered the search term "girlfriend wants to be tied to posts and gagged - youtube", but that's not exactly representative...

However, more and more, over the past six months most of the search terms have been variations on "post-it notes from hades", so dare I hope some people are searching for me? During this NaBloPoMo month, there have been more links to my blog and a few more regulars.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about being a slave to my blog. It seems a good chunk of my time over the past four weeks has been spent planning and composing posts. I think my comfort level is about two posts per week. It's been instructive to push past that boundary for a while, but I need to get back to actual living and trying to accomplish things in a more tangible environment. The house is a mess, for one thing...

Will I try it again? Possibly. Hard to know when. Having tackled the shortest month, the logical next step would be one of the four "thirty days hath". April is birthday month madness; June is end-of-school insanity; September is beginning-of-school hysteria; and November is the beginning of the slippery slope to Christmas.

I'll think about it. In the meantime, I'll be checking at NaBloPoMo to see who's posting there.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

It is hard to post everyday. I use blogging as a personal journal but I did notice when I started posting daily in November and have continued fairly regulary since my readership increased.
It depends what you are looking for. I enjoy feedback, so I am glad my readership increased but I am not looking to go professional, so I am good with things were they are.
I will look for you when you post again!!!!

bonnie-ann black said...

i haven't posted on my site since November! BUT i don't have a very interesting daily life, either.

i was away in london for a large part of your february effort, and just caught up today. i have really enjoyed sharing your world, even the woes and existential crises. please keep up posting on a regular basis. we Doctor Who lovers owe it to the world.

Jane Henry said...

Sorry Persephone, have been a bit late in the day a) congratulating you on succeeding in your blog a day effort - that's a hell of an achievement. Don't think I could do it... b)sending every good wish and vibe for you to make the right choice for your daughter. I've just heard which school my 2nd daughter's attending today- not as stressy as with the first, but still anxious making, and I don't have any of the worries you do. So much fellow empathy from this corner. I think you are absolutely right not to leave your daughter in public school hell. Several of my friends have taken their special needs kids out of the state system here, and all report it was the right move. Fingers crossed things work out for the best.

Loved this post about dreams... I am fascinated that in my dreams I can never ever see my father's face. Am convinced it's because my subconscious is too bloody rational and knows its not "him", however much I want it to be... I want to write about that some day.

Persephone said...

Thanks, Lucy, see you around!

I wondered where you'd got to, b.a.b.! Well, actually when I saw the Flick Filosopher was in Britain, I thought you might be too...

Keep the warm wishes coming, Jane/Jules! Nothing for it but to soldier on....

bonnie-ann black said...

yeah, the Flick Chick and i are fine duo of travelling troublemakers. as a fellow DW lover, i will admit to you that we had our photos taken at the police box at Earl's Court. the natives were kind and did not throw things at us or grumble when we blocked the sidewalk.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I have moments where I really doubt carrying on with blogging but it has made me so many nice contacts and allowed me to develop friendships with some incredibly wonderful people who I doubt I would get to see IRL. So I keep on, sometimes regularly, sometimes with long gaps between posts (I do usually manage to not let it be months though). I also try and keep up commenting even if I'm a bit inactive with posts.

The thing is, blogging should not be a chore, but a pleasure; something that allows contact with the world, expressing thoughts and reciprocating with others.

If it stops being that, then it's time to move on. Commendations to your daily posts - but we'll happily take on less regular contributions!

PS b.a.b. - love that you had your pic took with the TARDIS!