Wednesday 24 March 2010

Dabbling, Doodling, Fiddling, Wordle-ing...

Okay, I admit it. I cyber-stalk my elder daughter. She didn't give me much choice. She "unfriended" her grandmother, her father and me a few years ago when she came to the conclusion that "none" of her high school pals had their parents as Facebook friends. (She kept my sister and her husband on, presumably because they're way cooler...) When confronted, she pleaded: "Mo-o-o-o-om! Facebook is private!"
"No-o-o-o-o!" I responded in the exact same timbre (irritating her royally), "Facebook is the polar opposite of private!"
No dice. We were out.

Do I respect her wishes? Damned right I don't. I can still get in and see her photographs and while on one of these online field trips, I came across some Wordle pictures she'd put together, mostly for school.
For those of you unfamiliar with this concept, Wordle is a web site which can make any text you choose into a kind of abstract text picture. The first two I've included here are the results of entering: a) a whack of text copied-and-pasted from one computer page of my blog which is about ten posts along with some other stuff; and b) one very long post about Christmas.However, I think it works best with shorter bits of writing on one subject, such as the one just above which is a recent post about a little girl talking to a clown on a bus.

My favourite so far is one I made from my post about pilling my cat:


Try it, with a post, a term paper, a newspaper article....

No comments: