Sunday 23 June 2013

Beating the thunder and lightening

Thunderstorm tonight. The lights blink, and I have to get something up should they fail entirely.

One of my other favourites sung at the Hollywood musicals pops concert at the NAC last Friday was "The Atcheson, Topeka and the Santa Fe". The vocals and orchestrations were a recreation of the number from The Hervy Girls led by Judy Garland, (with Ray Bolger giving her an arm, and inexplicably in black and white -- the film was in colour).

However, in my mind, I heard Bing Crosby. My mother had an ancient record of this. Demeter was always a fan of "dark brown voices".

While searching for accompanying videos, I came across this gem: It's a Christmas broadcast featuring both Judy Garland and Bing Crosby, Johnny Mercer who wrote the song. And Bob Hope, of course.

Whoops! Another flash. Gotta go.

No comments: