Wednesday 21 August 2013

The best way to deal with this kind of thing

Well, anyone with ears has been exposed to this summer's big hit "Blurred Lines". I haven't paid it that much attention, but elder daughter is really ticked off by the video and the lyrics. This is the girl that got all defensive when I got ticked off by the film Social Network. However, I agree the words and images associated with this song are pretty depressing, and smack of sexual coercion and misogyny.

I think parody is the best dismantler here, and heaven knows there are plenty available. My particular favourite is the following where a University of Tennessee student named Fadi Saleh makes Bill Clinton blur the lines. Normally, Mr Saleh has Barack Obama spin the hits -- how the hell does he get his coursework done? -- but given Mr Clinton's track record, he is the perfect choice for this ditty:

1 comment:

JoeinVegas said...

As I read this that song is playing on the radio in the cubicle next to me. (I posted about it yesterday)
I have no concept of the hours it must take to watch enough videos and extract all of the words - very well done.