Saturday 15 February 2014

Ain't nuthin' for a girl

Some months ago, a Facebook friend posted this video on her "wall":



Nifty, huh?  I showed it to younger daughter, who recognized the song immediately.  Some weekend last spring, when I was too sick/busy/adverse to going along, the Resident Fan Boy and she had gone to see a movie called Pitch Perfect which featured this little, but pivotal scene:



which, in turn, became a hit:



which I missed because it's not the type of song that would be played on the type of radio I listen to.

I did, however, recognize the singer, whom I'd encountered in the movie Up In the Air:



which I thought should have won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2009.

It took several more weeks for me to realize that I had seen Anna Kendrick even earlier -- in fact she's featured in a DVD that I own called My Favorite Broadway: The Leading Ladies.  Taped in 1998, when Anna Kendrick was 13 (and looking much younger, much as she does today), this was and is one of my favourite moments from the concert. Anna, appearing at the time in a Broadway musical version of High Society, joins the Kit Kat Club girls from the 1998 Broadway revival of Cabaret in a rather surreal version of "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" from Showboat.


She was terrifyingly talented even then.

No comments: