Sunday 6 July 2014

I'll drink to that

Every now and then, I triumph over adversity. "Adverse" would be an excellent adjective to apply to British Columbia's liquor laws as they pertain to minors.  Minors are not permitted in pubs in BC.  If you enter a pub with children to purchase lunch or even wait for somebody, chances are you'll be asked to leave.  Minors are not permitted in government liquor stores in BC.  If you're in a rush and would like to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner, forget it if you have a kid in tow.

This didn't bother me so much growing up.  My mum simply didn't go to pubs and I would wait outside if she entered a liquor store. However, we've been living in Ontario for the past 14 years and are now used to not having to think twice before entering a pub or purchasing a bottle.  As far as I know (and you're welcome to pelt me with statistics if you feel otherwise), Ontario kids aren't any less responsible about alcohol than BC teenagers - not that either group is famed for its abstemiousness.

The British Columbia government is now discussing relaxing rules about allowing kids into pubs, but until then, we have a new wrinkle, theatres in Victoria are now trying to encourage more patrons by getting liquor licenses.  This means kids aren't welcome at evening performances, only at matinees.  Okay, I prefer matinees myself, so booked afternoon tickets for a performance of "Judy!" (a show about the life of Judy Garland) for my resident JG fan, younger daughter, who recently did a passionate rendition of "The Trolley Song" for her spring recital.

Younger daughter is also a Beatle fan.  Earlier this year, I was delighted to hear  that the Vic Theatre, a cinema in downtown Victoria where I first saw The Princess Bride and Gone with the Wind amongst many other films, had re-opened as an arts film venue.  I was even more delighted to learn they would be screening A Hard Day's Night, a film younger daughter has adored since toddlerhood, but has never seen on a big screen. My delight withered when I noticed that the film, while rated "G", was denoted as "19+" along with a blithe reference to beer and wine being available.  I had already told younger daughter about the film, and heart sinking, emailed the organizer for clarification (named Scarlett in a case of neat symmetry), fully expecting to be told "no dice".

Instead, she told me that while she hadn't been expecting any underage viewers to come, that we were welcome.  The next day, the "19+" had been removed from the web site and a note added advising patrons that liquor would have to be consumed in the lobby "as minors will be in the audience".

I think younger daughter was the only minor in the audience.  I also think most patrons brought their drinks in with them anyway.

Younger daughter turned to me while Paul McCartney was crooning "And I Love Her".

"Ohhhh… I just adore this song," she sighed.

Nothing adverse about that.  And yes, I did thank Scarlett in person.

No comments: