Friday 28 October 2016

Gee, I can hardly wait...

Georgia Nichols writes a very funny daily and weekly horoscope, which often has useful advice -- even if you think astrology is bumph.

Recently, she informed me - well, I read it in her column; she doesn't advise me directly - that this coming year, starting this month, will be like October 1992 to November 1993 and November 2004 to October 2005.  As I've mentioned, I've been updating my yearly and decade-long rundowns, so I did a quick run through my diaries to see what that may mean.  ("Connect the dots!" GN exhorts.)

What I found were two very different years.  In the autumn of 1992, we moved into our much-loved house, two blocks away from Demeter, where I hoped to raise our then only daughter.  That year was filled with the joy of our firstborn's first year, and while there were disasters hitting friends and family, they pelted around us like a rock slide that didn't quite hit.  A charmed time.

Autumn 2004 to Autumn 2005?  Oh gawd.  The year when I came to the realization that I would never feel entirely at home in Hades.  Elder daughter's entry into middle school with the ensuing crises of social awkwardness and shunning.  Younger daughter's ejection from the ideal school programme which had been nearly a perfect fit for her into "regular school" -- because she was "doing so well".

Dots to connect?

Upheaval and change.

Life as usual, then.

No comments: