Wednesday 7 February 2018

Lucky one

Perhaps one of the best Christmas gifts I got this Christmas was an accidental one. Elder daughter introduced me to an app called "Shazam". No doubt you've heard of it -- I certainly hadn't. It's the thing that has been missing all my life. When a song is playing in a coffee shop and I want to know what it is, I just bring up "Shazam" on my phone, and have it "listen". Then, eight times out of ten - it's not perfect - it will not only tell me the song, but it will identify the artist, even if it's a cover version.

No more planting myself as close to the speakers as possible, making notes of what lyrics I can decipher, then waiting until I can get somewhere where I can Google them.

So far there is one song I've "Shazam"ed twice, mainly because I don't watch those "find the next pop star" sort of television competitions. This one is by a fellow named Logan Staats. He's from Brantford, Ontario (the Six Nations, actually), and he was on something on CTV called the Launch. This song keeps coming up on CBC Radio, and makes me say "Who on earth is that?" Now I have an app for that.

No comments: